14 October 2004
Since 1995, Bangladesh Rural Iimprovement Foundation (BRIF) has been organizing eye treatment camps providing free medical and surgical treatment to poor rural people suffering from eye disease.
They have expanded their services to identify and treat ear problems. All services, including surgery, medicine, food and board are provided to the patients free of charge. Local doctors volunteer their time and skills to perform the surgery.
The organization needs volunteers who can help set up a hospital at the local community centre and support patients before surgery. The volunteer will assist doctors during surgery and provide all post-operative care for the patients, including food preparation.
Volunteers do not need a medical background: your time and support are the most important factors.
The campsite is at Jaldhaka Upazila, 40 km from BRIF head office, Goaldihi, Dinajpur and 380 km from Dhaka.
The programme fee is US$250, which covers:
- Pick up from Dhaka airpor;
- Transport around Dhaka for your first day
- Accommodation and meals in Dhaka on your first day
- Transport from Dhaka to your placemen
- All transport within Bangladesh duringthe stay
- Accommodation during your sta y(at the eye and ear camp)
- Meals during your stay
- Sight-seeing excursion
- Outings throughout your placement to help you see more of Bangladesh life
- Materials for your placement