07 December 2005, 13:27
by Eva Otero Candelera
Under the slogan “My responsibility as an Egyptian”, the International Day of the Volunteer 2005 will represent a milestone opening up a series of events for the whole 2006, aimed at raising awareness on the meaning of the Millennium Development Goals while at the same time creating adequate channels for youth to contribute to achieving the MDGs through volunteerism.
Our target audience are young people between 18 to 35 years (highly motivated university graduates, students, young business people), willing to get involved in development through volunteerism, but in need of contacts and know-how knowledge to make a profitable start.
The day will consist of a festival of arts in Al Azhar Park with the following elements:
12:00 to 1:30 Inauguration Ceremony:
H.E Dr. Mamdouh El Beltagui, Minister of Youth, Mr. Antonio Vigilante, Resident Coordinator of the United Nations in Egypt, Ambassador Mushira Khattab, Secretary General of NCCM, and youth leaders will underline the importance of volunteerism for the achievement of the MDGs
1:00 – 4:00 Exhibition area: 40 tents
Selected NGOs, volunteer units from the different governorates, universities and companies will present their work in an artistic and inspiring manner on how they have been engaging young people in Egypt as active agents of development.
4:00 – 7:00 Documentary programme:
A series of amateur and professional documentaries will be shown on different developmental topics related to MDGs and volunteerism.
7:00 – 9:30 A final concert:
Bands include: Beshir, Conspirience, Massar Egbari, Resala, and West El Balad
As mention above, IVD 2005 will launch a programme for 2006 to increase awareness on the meaning of the Millennium Development Goals and to create concrete channels through volunteerism for youth to contribute to their achievement.
1. A Corporate volunteer programme link with the MDGs
2. A series of action researches throughout the country on the MDGs
3. A volunteer portal targeting University Students
The activities of the year will lead to a National Youth Summit on Volunteering for MDGs in December 2006.
- A lasting partnership with United Nation Volunteers. A win/win and flexible involvement with the activities programmed for 2006.
- A stand to display your development work.
- Organization promotional material to be distributed all along the day within the premises of the event
- Advantage of recruitment of volunteers who wish to volunteer for them
- Association with the United Nations in a common effort towards human development
- Being a pioneer in the concept of Volunteerism for Development in Egypt; utilize volunteerism as a means to participate in development
Saad Hegazy, UNV Associate
Yasmine Mahmoud, Country Operations Assistant
Eva Otero Candelera, Programme Officer