22 November 2005, 12:05
by Ganiyu A. Ipaye
Please be informed, on behalf of Sudan National Committee on IVD 2005, that the International Volunteer Day (IVD) 2005 will be celebrated in Sudan on 5 December 2005:
SLOGAN FOR IVD 2005, SUDAN: “MDGs Mumkin in Sudan!” (“Mumkin”- is an Arabic word meaning “Possible”, “Achievable”)
OBJECTIVE OF EVENT: To demonstrate the potentials of volunteers, working in partnership with local communities, government and other development partners (including the UN), to achieve Peace, Unity and Development, especially the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) in Sudan.
NATIONAL THEME FOR IVD 2005, SUDAN: “Together – Volunteering for Peace Unity and Development in Sudan”
VENUE: Al Haj Yousif (Souk Sitta), Khartoum State.
TIME: 8.00a.m - 6.00p.m
EXPECTED PARTICIPANTS: Over 5,000 Volunteers from NGOs and Al Haj Yousif community members, national and international NGOs, government institutions, UN agencies, and other development partners.
IVD 2005 ORGANIZING TEAM: Over 100 national and international NGOs, Government Ministries (including Ministry of International Cooperation; Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs; Ministry of Health, Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sports; and Ministry of Social Welfare, Women and Child) and members of Al Haj Yousif Community are involving in organizing the event. UNV Unit is the facilitator of the organizing activities.
The tentative programme, draft poster (English Version), and the budget estimate of about USD10,000 for the event are attached herewith.
REQUEST TO UN AGENCIES AND UNMIS FOR IVD 2005 CELEBRATION IN SUDAN
- Contribution of USD 1000 – 2000
- Support to each MDG Group of NGOs (numbering 10 – 20 NGOs per group) with relevant information materials for distribution to the public during the celebration.
- Support with media coverage (radio, TV, video footage, newspaper, Internet) in Sudan and in websites of the UN agencies/UNMIS in Sudan
- Participation in the celebration in Al Haj Yousif
- UN to deliver the speech of the SG to the public at the opening of the celebration.
We are counting on your kind assistance in promotion of Volunteering and Volunteerism in Sudan.
Ganiyu A. Ipaye
UNV Programme Officer