04 December 2006, 14:27
by Rafiqul Haider
In Timor-Leste, a national IVD celebration committee has been formed with the representatives from the State Secretariat for Youth and Sport, NGO Forum, United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme, Australian Volunteers International (AVI), Red Cross, Council for Solidarity of University Students (DSMTL) and Belun Komunitario. After a series of consultations and meetings with the potential partners and stakeholders the following activities have been planned for 5 December 2006:
- An article will be published in two major national daily newspapers on 5 December highlighting the importance of IVD 2006. The newspaper article will include; best volunteer activities for the year, volunteer stories and IVD messages.
- A talk show on ‘Volunteerism in Timor-Leste’ will be organized. Representatives from the State Secretariat for Youth and Sports, NGO Forum and UNV will participate in the talk show. Tentatively, it will be broadcasted on 4 December 2006.
- Blood donation camps will be organized to increase social awareness and increase the current blood stock in the National Blood Bank. A group of UNV volunteer doctors in collaboration with the National Hospital, National University and volunteer organizations will organize blood donation camps.
- Volunteers and student of the National University will organize science fair at the Department of Science on 5 December 2006. Volunteerism and science will be demonstrated by the young scientists and volunteers. The fair will be open for public from 8:00 am to 12:00 am.
- AVI will distribute 50 saplings to the community members through their volunteers and the Community Development Department of the National University will plant 200 saplings in Tasitolu area in collaboration with university students, volunteers and community members.
- Volleyball competition for the volunteers and youth will be organized at the National Gymnasium. The first round of the competition will be held on 4 December from 9:30 am to 11:30 am and final round will be held on 5 December from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm. Total five teams (National University, NGOs/CSOs, UNV, Red Cross and University Student of Solidarity Council) will participate in the competition. Champion and runner-up teams will be awarded with trophies.
- UNV will organize a ‘Volunteers Get-together’ at the evening of 5 December at the Staff Recreation Center in Obrigado Barak. All UNV volunteers, representatives from various UN agencies and volunteer-involving organizations will be invited to participate in the get-together.