30 November 2005, 09:52
by Bong Manzano
We are pleased to inform you of the various activities we have lined-up for the IVD celebration in Uganda.
Youth Development Camp
This camp runs from 3-10 December, however, on 5 December it will hold the main IVD celebration;
- On 5 December, the UNVs together with JOVC (Japanese) Volunteers will be joining the youth volunteers in Ugandan Wildlife Education Center (UWEC) to interact and help in the rehabilitation its education center and zoo;
- There will be a UNV Programme booth to make available information on the UNV Programme and volunteerism.
- There will be also a programme to be attended by the Senior Presidential Advisor and the Uganda Wildlife Education Centre Executive Director. The UNDP Resident Representative will be the guest of honor during the said activity and will address the youth volunteers;
- During the program, the Resident Representative will launch the new UNV Uganda website and Newsletter;
- Information on volunteerism and the UNV Programme will be disseminated by the top 3 radio stations in Uganda, namely, Capital FM 88.8, KFM 93.3, and Radio One FM 90 from 3-5 December
- Radio Talk Shows
- There will be 3 radio talk shows during the day. The following are the main guest in each program:
- KFM 93.3 at 0800H - UNDP Deputy Resident Representative (DRR), Mr. Auke Lootsma
- CBS FM 88.8 at 1200H - UNDP Resident Representative, Mr. Cornelis Klein
- Radio One FM 90 at 1800H - CCF Coordinator, Dr. Katebalirwe Amooti
- This is a multi-sectoral endeavour that involves the private sector, media, government, and civil society, coordinated by UNV. Local artists will be performing songs on peace and reconciliation at Pece Stadium in Gulu (Northern Uganda).
- Messages on volunteerism and of the UNV Programme will be disseminated during the concert.
- From the revenues of the Peace Concert, microscopes will be procured and distributed to identified priority health centers in IDP camps and thereby reduce morbidity and mortality cases; newspaperes New Vision and Daily Monitor will cover the event.
After 10 December
- Distribution of Microscopes to Health Centers in IDP Camps; newspapers New Vision and Daily Monitor committed to cover the event
These activities are now final, however, we urgently need assistance in putting together an information package for the media which will be used as basis for the media hype and in the conduct of the interviews during the radio talk show. Please if there is any information that we can 'cut and paste' such would be very much appreciated. We committed to our media partners to make available this material by tomorrow. If there is any information on the evolution or history of the UNV Programme in Uganda, that would also be very much appreciated.
Thank you and hoping for your favorable (and immediate) action.
Jose Neil A. C. Manzano
UNV Programme Officer
+256 41 233440/1/2/5 ext. 251 (office)
+256 41 343373 (direct)
+256 78 585 292 (mobile)
UNDP/UNV, 15B Clement Hill Road
P.O. Box 7184