02 December 2008
Brent, London, UK:
Brent Liberal Democrat Member of Parliament (MP) Sarah Teather and her entire office team will spend International Volunteer Day working with local charitable organisations.
Working with the Brent Association for Voluntary Action (BrAVA), Sarah Teather and her team have chosen to work for five local Brent charities for the day:
- Sarah Teather MP will volunteer with Brent Mencap;
- Pete Hannon, Sarah’s Campaigns Officer, will help out at Brent Youth Radio;
- Jack Beck, Sarah’s Diary Manager, will volunteer with WISE, who run services for elderly people from the West Indian community;
- Sarah MacDougall, Sarah’s Caseworker, will work with the African Child, a mentoring project for young people;
- Matt Sanders, Sarah’s Researcher, will volunteer with Cricklewood Homeless Concern.
Local Liberal Democrat MP for Brent East Sarah Teather said: “There are so many local organisations in Brent that do excellent work for the community. Almost all of these groups rely on the generosity, hard work and commitment of volunteers.
“Many people in Brent lead busy lives and worry that they don’t have enough spare time to dedicate to good causes. But even donating just a few hours a week can make a real difference to a charity and the local people that it serves.
“I hope that by helping out these Brent organisations we will be able to highlight the importance of local volunteers and encourage more people to get involved with some of our fantastic local charities.”
Jack Beck, Head of Sarah Teather’s Constituency Office, said: “We all enjoy working with Sarah on behalf of local people in Brent. Lots of people call into our office every single day to ask for help. It’s great to be able to use our local knowledge and expertise to help out other organisations that work with vulnerable people in Brent.”