Many developing countries spend more on debt service than on social services. New aid commitments made in the first half of 2002 could mean an additional $12 billion per year by 2006.
Targets for 2015:
• Develop further an open trading and financial system that includes a commitment to good governance, development and poverty reduction – nationally and internationally
• Address the least developed countries’ special needs, and the special needs of landlocked and small island developing States
• Deal comprehensively with developing countries’ debt problems
• Develop decent and productive work for youth
• In cooperation with pharmaceutical companies, provide access to affordable essential drugs in developing countries
• In cooperation with the private sector, make available the benefits of new technologies – especially information and communications technologies.