The World Volunteer Web is brought to you by the United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme in partnership with the following organizations:
- CIVICUS: World Alliance for Citizen Participation
- Inter-American Development Bank (IDB)
- International Association for Volunteer Effort (IAVE)
- International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC)
- Merrill Associates
- Millennium Campaign
- Portal do Voluntário
The World Volunteer Web supports the volunteer community by serving as a global clearinghouse for information and resources linked to volunteerism that can be used for campaigning, advocacy and networking. It is an online hub where the community can meet, share resources and coordinate activities to mobilize volunteer action in support of the Millennium Development Goals.
With a constituency comprising of over 20,000 organizations and individuals, the World Volunteer Web helps to catalyze partnerships among volunteer stakeholders from all continents.
This website is also the global focal point for International Volunteer Day (IVD), celebrated around the world every 5 December.
The mission of the World Volunteer Web is derived from the November 2002 UN General Assembly resolution that led to the creation of this website:
- Make available to the global volunteer community an online reference point for information and resources related to all forms of volunteerism worldwide;
- Provide the volunteer community with tools and resources for sharing information and knowledge and for networking;
- Invite other volunteer sector stakeholders to partnerships to promote volunteerism through a voluntary and collaborative approach.